LOUGHRIGG ONE HOUR SCORE ORIENTEERING EVENTSeniors
Posted on March 29, 2021
Tuesday 6th April 2021 heralds the return of the Loughrigg one hour score orienteering event.
Read on and hope to see lots of you there :-)
LOUGHRIGG ORIENTEERING – TUESDAY 6TH APRIL 2021
1. It’s a 1 hour score event. There are 17 controls. Each is worth 10 points and you can visit them IN ANY ORDER. Although some runners will (unintentionally) visit the same one or two controls repeatedly…
2. You may start at any time between 5.30pm and 6.30pm. The start and finish will be somewhere on the track leading from Ellers Brow to fell gate (see map below). The exact position of the start will be posted on the website as soon as I’ve ascertained exactly how close I can park.
3. Juniors must be 14 or older on the day and have parent consent and a parent/carer present at the start/finish. Juniors may run solo. Juniors may form a paired team with a senior although pity the senior who has to keep up with them! Juniors may also form a paired team with another junior. 5 of the controls are located in an area of Loughrigg that is very familiar to our older juniors.
4. For those of you born and raised on SI dibber technology, it’s an “olden days” clipper system. Attached to each orange and white kite is a red plastic clipper (looks like a stapler!) with a pattern of raised pins. You just need to use it (like a stapler!) to punch that pattern into the right box on your control sheet…what could possibly go wrong…?! See note on hand sanitiser below.
5. There will be time penalties if you are over the hour:
• 1pt per minute for first 5 minutes.
• 5pts per minute after that up to 10 minutes.
• After 10 minutes, you lose 10 pts per minute.
KIT: I’d suggest a waterproof/windproof jacket, compass, whistle, a watch and mobile phone. Head torch, supper and a long ball of string if you’re not that confident!
6. Maps will be provided ready marked up with the controls at the start. Do bring a map case if you have one. I will have some of those poly pocket thingies if you need one.
7. No entry fee. FREE FUN 😊
8. Open air “prizegiving ceremony” for following:
• F senior
• M senior
• Paired team seniors
• Paired team (one senior and one junior 14+)
• Paired junior team (both 14+)
• F Solo junior (14+)
• M solo junior (14 +)
• A few “novelty” categories
9. This is also a club champs race so champs points will be available to winners in usual age categories. Thanks to Chris H for his work on the 2021 Club Champs series.
10. We just need to ensure we observe SD around start/finish and at controls. Bring hand sanitiser to use either at the start and finish or to carry with you to use between controls as they are manual clippers.
KEEP AN EYE ON WEBSITE/FB: PRECISE START AND FINISH LOCATION WILL BE POSTED AT THE WEEKEND.
“Never lost; just exploring.”