Ambleside AC Juniors
Since starting in May 2011, Ambleside AC Juniors has attracted huge interest and now have approximately 60 members from the age of 8 to 17 years old. We train and race throughout the year on the fells and our aim is to deliver enjoyable training sessions to develop fitness, good running and training habits and to learn to have fun with running, which will hopefully last a lifetime.
We meet on Thursdays at Rothay Park 5.30 – 6.30pm. Each session costs £1.
We have 5 groups which train on and around the hills of Ambleside till Dec which we have off.
All children will need fell shoes and must bring a bumbag containing a waterproof jacket, hat and gloves! (waterproof trousers are also recommended). A head torch will be needed from late October through to March. Please note that this essential safety kit is obligatory for every training session, every single week. NO kit = NO run!
The session starts at the whistle, for the pre-training briefing, and at the end of the session can parents please collect your child from the park ensuring that their coach knows they have been collected. Note that we are only responsible for your child from the whistle until their return, so please supervise any playing before or after.
Parking for juniors can get busy and potentially dangerous near the park gates on Vicarage Road, or in the Parish Centre, so all parents are encouraged to use the free parking on Under Loughrigg near the bridge, just 200m across the park – Google Maps pin drop; https://maps.app.goo.gl/
If you are interested in your child / children joining, please contact us, but note that there may be a waiting list. E-mail: email@example.com for any advice.
Notes about joining;
- Update – 27 September 2023
- Currently the club allows children who are aged 8 (minimum) and over to join, following a review of the recent changes to devolve leader affiliations from UK Athletics to England Athletics.
- AAC Juniors is at capacity for run leader ratios, and we cannot accept any new runners joining us this September intake, until new run leaders are qualified. If you are interested in qualifying, let us know!
- We hope that in the mid March 2024 intake we can accept some new runners to join Ambleside AC juniors.
- To be added to the AAC Juniors waiting list, please get in touch a few months before your child’s 8th birthday.
- There are two intakes of new runners into juniors each year, in mid September, and mid March, so every 6 months.
- Joining priority is given to children of coaches and assistants with AAC juniors, then to children who have run FRA Club Championships for AAC previously, then to all others in age order.